What will my Insurance Company pay for in Alberta and Northwest Territories?


How to prepare for an insurance claim after a motor vehicle accident

After getting in a motor vehicle accident where you were not at-fault, you will have to deal with your insurance company and the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Each insurance company has a role to play in your recovery, so it is important to know what each insurance company can do for you.


Medical Treatments:

Does insurance cover medical expenses?

Regardless of fault in Alberta and Northwest Territories car accidents, your own insurance company is responsible for your medical treatments. Within 10 days of the car accident, you must complete forms for your insurance company to let them know what your injuries are, and whether or not you are able to work.


Disability Payments:

Along with medical treatments, your insurance company will also pay disability payments if you are entirely unable to work because of the accident. In Alberta, your car insurer will pay up to $400 per week, and in the Northwest Territories, the maximum car insurance disability benefit is $140 per week.


Property Damage:

Your car insurer will also pay for the property damage to your vehicle if you had collision coverage. If you didn’t have collision coverage, then you will have to seek payment for vehicle damage from the other driver’s insurance company.

Have you been involved in a motor vehicle accident in Alberta or the Northwest Territories?
Ahlstrom Wright can help.

Contact Ahlstrom Wright for more information about this and other areas of Personal Injury law.

How do I claim compensation from the other driver’s insurance company?


How does car insurance work if you are not at fault?

Should I talk to the other insurance company after an accident?

If you decide to pursue compensation from the other driver who caused the motor vehicle accident, then you will need to talk to the other driver’s insurance company. Your own insurance company is not required to help you do this, so you may want to hire a personal injury lawyer to represent you.


What can I claim after a car accident?

If you can prove that the other driver was at fault for the accident and caused injuries to you, then you can claim compensation from the other insurance company. Some of the things you can claim are general damages for pain and suffering, past loss of income, future loss of earning capacity, loss of housekeeping, out-of-pocket expenses, loss of consortium with your partner, and future care costs. Determining what compensation you are entitled to, however, is a complicated process and may require evidence from medical and/or financial professionals. You should not agree to a settlement with an at-fault insurer until you have fully recovered from your injuries.


What do I do after a car accident?

Click here for a printable document outlining what to do and what to expect from each insurance company that you will need to deal with after an accident.

Ahlstrom Wright’s team of personal injury lawyers are available to consult with you to determine if you should sue the other driver.

CategoryPersonal Injury